17 September 2014

Falling in Love with Aotearoa (Part II)

Kia Ora, my readers!

At long last, here is Part II from my spring break trip! I have yet to get the group pictures from my friends (I assume I will get them eventually) but in the meantime, here are some other pictures I can share with you from that trip, as well as some random ones taken the past couple of weeks... 

We visited the beautiful Archway Islands, which are at the northermost part of the South Island 
It looks like I have a hat on! ;)
We were so proud of this shot. 
Ran into this fella on the drive back from Nelson! The Kea is the world's only alpine parrot, and a very mischievous bird.
 
Coming home from my trip and seeing postcards from my friend Kayla (left) and my Uncle Ron and Aunt Krista (right)! 
Vegetarian stuffed peppers. I love my life.
It's SPRING in Dunedin!! Flowers are blooming everywhere.

 Bone carving classes! My first piece of work.
Also....I have a very special treat to share with you...My friend took videos of our horse trek a couple weekends ago and we pieced them together into this gloriously epic film. So sit back and enjoy!(Video courtesy of Matt Stolfi.)


Rest assured I have not forgotten my homeland. On the contrary, I have been thinking about home a lot lately. Maybe it's because I read another web article about the droughts in California. Or because the seasons are changing to fall in the Northern Hemisphere and it occurred to me that I have never 'skipped' autumn before (but hey, at least I get two springs this year!) Oh, not to mention the University of Denver's quarter just started - and I know this because I wake up every morning to a fresh batch of twenty emails from DU to sift through. (This is not entirely an exaggeration. Fellow DU students will understand.) 

But life here is good. "Wherever you go, there you are." I'm still me, struggling with the same defects I deal with back home. Sometimes I get so caught up in what has happened or what will happen that I need to be reminded that, "If you have one foot in the past and one foot in the future, then you're just pissing all over today." So I wake up, eat porridge for breakfast, go to class, spend time with friends, hit the gym. Beauty and joy in the mundane, everyday things of life. One day at a time.

It's become less about "falling in love with Aoteaora" and more about falling in love with myself. I built up my life around notions of perfection and used to beat myself up for (inevitable) failure, and now I'm slowly learning what it means to cultivate self-love... If I love God, other people, and myself, then I could be anywhere in the world and be happy. New Zealand just happens to be an extra-awesome place. ;)

So thank you for reading about my crazy adventures - or just my mundane, everyday adventures! I love you all.

1 comment:

  1. First of all--love the rock hat!
    Your photos are beautiful. You are in spring and we are approaching fall.
    I am a beach lover so any pics of those are some of my favorites.
    I can relate to you discovering you. Not being what is expected but being
    what you were created to be. My rule. God 1st, me 2nd, my family 3rd and then the rest.
    I must spend time with my Lord . He is my strength, my savior , my rock, my comforter, my
    friend, loves all my quirks and me unconditionally and forgives me always when I do wrong. He
    also disciplines me to keep me on my path. Some may say that is a bad thing. For me, I need
    direction, instruction and discipline for I am too free a spirit and need Him to set some boundaries.
    Bloom where you are planted, no matter where you go, there you are. Love those quotes. These 2 have been
    a mantra for me.
    Life is simple. It is we who tend to mess it up. Living a day at a time is a good plan. Completing tasks that must be done, carrying over the others for another day. The sun will still rise n the morning!
    I shall send you more pics of fall. We have an osprey nest at the lake here and there were 2 of them singing away. It was such a treat.
    Know you are prayed for, cherished, liked immensely, loved and brighten peoples lives.
    Keep calm and carry on!
    Love cross land and sea,
    Momma Monique

    ReplyDelete